The History of the Novosibirsk State Regional House of People’s Creative Arts began in July 1931 when the Kraysovnarpos and Kraysovprof made a decision to establish the House of CreativeArts of Siberian Kray (shortly HCASK) in the city of Novosibirsk. The first task that the HCASK faced was to render assistance to the amateur-talent groups, to train personnel training, to create repertoire for amateur art activities and to preserve folklore art. Sergey Klavdievich Sokolov, a man with vast practical experience in mass work, who became the first head of the House of Creative Arts of Siberian Kray He was known as a village political educator, illiteracy liquidator who graduated from triennial courses which were organized by the Polenov Moscow Central House of Arts for the heads of the amateur art activities in Krays, Oblasts, Autonomous Republics.
In 1931, 160 thousand citizens lived in the city of Novosibirsk which was the administrative centre of the vast West-Siberian Kray. HCASK was housed in the basement of the newly built up five-storeyed residential house which was situated in Mezhenikovskaya street (since 1937 — Cheluskintsev street) not far from the railway terminal. This modest basement became the centre of cultural and educational work. The year of 1932 marked the beginning of the HCASK practical work. The HCASK enthusiasts put amateur classes in touch with them (at the end of 1932 they numbered 600 amateur actors) ; rendered methodics and creative assistance; and they also chose repertoire and amateur actors, trained the amateur personnel.
In 1933-1934, the HCASK issued a collection named «Amateur Arts» where poems, songs, folk rhymes, sketches, chastushkas were published as well as repertoire library collections which were aimed at amateur classes and propaganda teams, mass Soviet songs leaflets. One more
chapter of the HCASK those years' history is mass propaganda and art teams expeditions to village settlements. The team members had to render methodics assistance while professional actors and amateur groups were arranged performances. Short-term workshops where amateur actors studied acting skills, stage and costume design were held. Accordion players taught local musicians new songs, professional artists gave their support to amateur ones.
19 propaganda teams were sent on 30-90 days work trips by HCASK only in 1932; 845 settlements were visited by the propaganda teams where 920 performances were arranged. Here are the figures that speak for themselves and affirm the achievements of that distant history.
In 1933, a mass cultural campaign was launched in rural districts of Siberian Kray. Amateur talent shows and district Olympiads sprang into immediate popularity and it was proudly claimed that the number of participants was more than 4 thousand people. “The Soviet Siberia” newspaper wrote an article about the first Olympiad in the Udinskaya MTS Farms. It reported that 39 stock-breeding, agronomic and machinery classes, in which 800 farmers learnt agricultural science, were formed during a few weeks of the cultural crusade; 1000 people started learning ABC-books; 9 village reading rooms were equipped for use; 5 barbershops were opened
; 38 wells were cleared, a great part of peasant’s houses were whitewashed. Thanks to these Olympiads amateur art became a matter of great importance.
Cultural and educational force of this work was obvious. However, some problems remained — the repertoire and personnel were not having a great time. Issues resolving contribution of the Union of Soviet Writers Regional Committee and the HCASK was inestimable. Collections of Siberian playwrights and short novels of classic authors were published and tributed in the following years. The most skilful amateur participants were recommended by the HCASK coordinators to study in schools of art and institutes. Not once did the HCASK change its name over the period of its existence, but always retained its main functions. In 1936, it was transformed into the Regional House of People’s Creative Arts, and before the war its director was Tatyana Mihaylovna Suhanova. In the very first years of its existence the House of Creative Arts of Siberian Kray carried out diverse and manysided work.
During the Great Patriotic War all the activities of the House of People’s Creative Arts were aimed at providing the art amateurs with a new repertoire of military themes, the forms of this work were changed. Daily performances were arranged on streets and at recruiting stations in Novosibirsk Oblast by amateur choirs, concert parties and ensembles as well as by professional artistes. To the end of 1941 14 propaganda teams worked in the city of Novosibirsk. Amateur artists designed wall newspapers at the enterprises of the city, and they became organizers of the “Defence of the USSR” exhibition. During the Great Patriotic War the Arts Centre issued such songbooks as : «Rise up, military song», «The Battle is ours», «Native Land songs», 3 the amateur art shows were held. The First one — in 1943, 151 participants took part in it, in 1945 the number of participants increased up to 1113 members.
In 1947 the House of People’s Arts was headed by M. Romanov. Methodics guidance was realized of the amateur-talent groups of Siberian Kray and then Oblast. The emphasis on the rural amateur talent groups was made in the postwar years. The chain of the District Cultural Centres was added to the tutorial guidance system. The People’s (exemplary) amateur groups became the basis for teaching and methodics work. In this period military amateur art was isolated, people’s amateur choirs acquired top priority, composers’ movement was launched in different forms.
In 1953 the Region methodics department for cultural and educational work, which headed all the district methodics departments, was formed. Tamara Sergeevna Dolina had been heading the above-mentioned methodics department for many years. Although, these two institutions had been existing separately for a quarter of the century, they made a great contribution into development of the cultural and educational work in the Novosibirsk Region. Many talent shows, festivals, contests, exhibitions, pageants, club events of different genres were organized and held.
In May 1979 a new institution named «The Regional Scientific and Methodics Centre for People’s Creative Arts and Cultural Education» (RSMC) was formed under the control of the Novosibirsk Regional government culture department on the basis of the CPSU Central Committee resolution «On Measures for Further Development of amateur art». Tamara Sergeevna Dolina headed the new RSMC. The main objectives of the Centre were to render daily and comprehensive assistance to all club institutions regardless of their departmental membership, to introduce the best experience. As for the seventies-eighties in the RSMC life, they were noted for vast research activities in the investigation of modern rural community culture, cultural and educational workers’ personnel, a clubs’ role in leisurely activities of the rural population. Members of the RSMC arranged seminars, creative laboratories, research and practice conferences in this period;they also sent dozens of methodics and repertoire guides to the regions; rendered an assistance in holding of mass cultural events.
Many genres and types of amateur arts became accessible for every rural club and were taken further. They were: academic and Russian choirs, circus and choreographics groups, Russian people’s orchestras, folk music groups and variety orchestras. There were 1083 state club institutions in Novosibirsk Oblast of which 98 were granted the title: «Cultural establishment of excellent work», 55 groups were given the title: «People’s». Approximately 57 thousand people were involved into amateur arts.
The beginning of the eighties: rural amateur arts in Novosibirsk Oblast amounted approximately 5 thousand groups of almost all the genres. It is next to impossible to enumerate all the talent shows and contests. The activities of the House of People’s Arts were devoted to restructuring and searching for new development trends of the club institutions. 314 cultural and sports complexes were formed in the Novosibirsk Oblast at that time. The RSMC did not stop preparing repertoire and issue author’s collections of poets and amateur composers, preparation of methodics literature was noticeably activated. The RSMC acted together with the Arts Council which united people of culture and arts, culture department managers of the district executive committees, RDK and SDK directors and art administrators, chiefs of creative associations and unions. The Arts Council held its sessions 4 times a year, 7 sections of different genres worked in it.
In 1991 the RSMC was closed and the Regional Centre of People’s Creative Arts, Leisure Activities and Club Work was formed on its basis. Its reorganization took place in 2 years after the «Culture» Regional Association had been created. It was abolished in a year and the Regional Arts Centre was formed. In August 1997 the status of this institution was changed and it was transformed into the Novosibirsk State Regional House of People’s Creative Arts (NSRHPCA). Today its activities are carried out in accordance with “Support and Development Programme for the traditional artistic culture of the Novosibirsk Region”.
We should single out the main directions of the development of the modern House of People’s Creative Art to present the whole range of its activities: creation of necessary conditions to preserve and develop amateur art work, cultural and leisure activities, traditional arts and crafts of Novosibirsk Oblast, implementation of the children’s art work development programme, discovering and support of the gifted children, work with the younger generation, holding of festivals, talent shows, contests, concerts, exhibitions, holidays and other mass cultural events with the participation of Oblast cultural institutions, development of the personnel training system, creation of necessary conditions for their creative growth; current activity information support of cultural institutions of the Novosibirsk Oblast.
Today it is very hard to enumerate all the events which had been recently held by the Arts Centre. Many of them are not comparable with the past forms, but frantic enthusiasm of the first generation members will always inspire today’s team. Among the names that will never be forgotten in the Arts Centre are:
Galina Viktorovna Grunfeld, Vera Alekseevna Lebedeva, Grigoriy Iosifovich Kazarnovskiy, writer Artemiy Ilyich Ershov, poetess Elizaveta Konstantinovna Stuart, men of letters Vasiliy Mihailovich Puhnachev and Alexandr Alexandrovich Misurev, artist Ivan Vasilevich Titkov.
They all have passed their enthusiasm, passion for work and professionalism like a relay baton to the present team which is headed by Ludmila Alekseevna Zhiganova who is the Honoured Worker of Culture of Russia, the president of the Siberian Federal District Association of Centres (Houses) of People’s Creative Arts.
In 2015 the Novosibirsk State Regional House of People’s Creative Arts found a new home located in: 117 Krasnoyarskaya street. Being a local relevance monument of architecture, it is considered to be one of the most beautiful building in our city. It was built in 1911 in the city of Nikolaevsk (a former name of the city of Novosibirsk) within the framework of mass school building in Russian cities on the initiative of a special fund (celebrating the 300th anniversary of the Romanovs’ House).
In 1905 three-block building of the City secondary school was built at the intersection of 1905 street and Krasnoyarskaya street (former name is Pereselencheskaya street) by the order of Vladimir Ippolitovich Zhernakov, who was the first Gorodskoy Golova (mayor) of the city.
The House of People’s Creative Arts has been living for 20 years in a two-storeyed detached house at 5 Kainskaya street, which is also a monument of architecture of the early twentieth century. The history of this building started from 1906 when Andrey Ivanovich Rubtsov, who was a peasant from Berdskoe village of the Tomsk province, was permitted by the Novonikolaevsk city governor to build a wooden annexe. Already in 1911 a two- storeyed house, built partially of stone, appeared at Kainskaya street. Exhibitions and masterclasses of talented Siberian artists are regularly held in this house.
In 2021 the Novosibirsk State Regional House of People’s Creative Arts will celebrate its 90th anniversary. We still remain the centre of attraction for all creative people of Novosibirsk Oblast, the centre which is interested in the conservation and development of the multicoloured palette of people’s arts culture. The doors of our House are always open for you!